Mumbai, India’s commercial capital, may seem to be an out-of-reach tourist spot for many reasons. It has the country’s biggest financial and economic hubs. It bears witness to iconic British culture and architecture. The city is also the residential place for a host of Bollywood superstars. It also consists of the highest number of financially superior people residing in the country. However, it is not true that Mumbai only means extravagance and costly places. There are a host of places in this city that are worth viewing, and there are several unique ways in which you can view them. Thus, if you plan a trip to India, visit Mumbai as it holds many untold stories of the past. Traveling to India has become comparatively more effortless with the Chicago to Mumbai flights by which you can reach your destination in no time.
There are various places to visit in Mumbai, and without a good tour guide, you may feel helpless and lost in some areas. You may even miss out on some important places. Thus, it is necessary to have a guide throughout your journey. The main places of tourist attraction in Mumbai include the following:
- The Gateway of India: This monument, with its overhanging structure, is always welcoming for tourists. People often compare it to Paris’ Arc de Triomphe. It is so grand and vast that people often call it ‘The Taj Mahal of Mumbai.’ As soon as you reach the spot, vendors welcome you with flowers, handicrafts, mini telescopes, and a variety of things. You can view part of the Arabian sea beside this monument. Opposite to this is the grand five-star Taj Hotel which suffered the 9/11 terrorist attack. Entry is free to the Gateway, and there are lots of picture-friendly places to opt for.
- Juhu Chowpatty Beach: This is basically a place to relax and calm your nerves. As the name suggests, it is a beach and a place to ‘chow.’ It is best to be in the sand and meet new people, converse with them and have fun. The place is famous for bhel puris (puffed rice mixed with tamarind, tomato, and chili sauce with onions and cucumbers) and ice golas (colorful frozen ice with oval shape, it also has different flavors).
- Elephanta Island and Caves: It is one of the best and cheapest places to visit in Mumbai. This historical site contains cave temples built in the second century BCE. There are various stone sculptures, carvings, and drawings, related mostly to Lord Pashupati or Shiva. It is a short ferry ride from the city, and you can witness historical features here, mainly from the reign of Ashoka.
- Haji Ali Mosque: This place is a special religious site that features the remains of a prominent Muslim Haji Ali. It is a beautiful dome-like structure where thousands of devotees visit daily to pay their respect. It is located on an island off the coast of Worli, and the sunset is beautiful to watch from here. This place is not open throughout the year. Basically, it remains closed during high tides. Thus, if you keep this as an absolute must in your tour plan, then plan your Chicago to Mumbai flights schedule accordingly.
- Chor Bazar: Also known as the Crawford Market, this place is an absolute must to visit in Mumbai. The streets here are always bustling with people. You can visit here to shop for a variety of things like jewelry, clothes, and other essential commodities. It is highly budget-friendly. The market offers various second-hand goods as well.
- Marine Drive: This narrow, curved coastline has amazing scenic beauty. You can view the city lights at dawn here, which is a very pleasing view. It is also called “the Queen’s Necklace” because of its shape. You can also get extremely tasty street foods here, which are also very cheap. It will make your trip from Chicago to Mumbai even more memorable.
- Shree Siddhivinayak Temple: Places of worship have opened in Mumbai long after the Corona outbreak and lockdown. You need to book your visit to this temple through their official website as only 100 people are now allowed inside. The grand Ganesh murti looks majestic to watch, and the arati and bhog systems have unique rituals in them. This place has a religious aura overall and calms your nerves immediately.
- Sanjay Gandhi National Park: This is the only forest reserve in the city and is quite far away from the hustle and bustle. Various trees, animals, and unique caves are its attractions. The entry fee is 200 per person if you are a foreigner. It is named after the untimely deceased son of Indira Gandhi, Mr. Sanjay Gandhi- a renowned politician of his age.
- Homes of Bollywood Celebrities: If you are a fan of movies, this must be ticked in your list of tourist spots in Mumbai. The houses of eminent personalities like Amitabh Bachchan, Shahrukh Khan, Lata Mangeshkar, Salman Khan, and the late actor Rajesh Khanna are worth watching as they have high popularity. Also, the house of popular businessman and billionaire Mr. Mukesh Ambani is also an attraction for tourists.
These are more or less the famous sights in Mumbai city. For a budget-friendly experience, you can opt for tourist buses called ‘Mumbai Darshan.’ They carry 25-30 people together for the Mumbai tour, and they also have a guide inside the bus throughout the journey. You can also opt for car rentals that charge you on an hourly basis. What is most important is to have a tourist guide to show you the eminent places. All you need to do is to plan your journey with the help of MyTicketsToIndia. They will give you all details of travelling from Chicago to Mumbai and will also help you choose between a host of flight choices. You obviously want to ensure your flight details first, and MyTicketsToIndia will surely help you in this process with their experience. They also have good connections with various flight companies, which makes it even easier for you to plan things. Contact them as early as possible and plan your journey ahead to make the experience an even more memorable one.